In Edmonton this December, the Festival of Light, hosted by the Valley Zoo Development Society, will stage a spectacular exhibition of artistic light installations within the unique setting of the Edmonton Valley Zoo. The festival’s vision is to celebrate light, artistry, imagination and the strong spirit of the community in the winter. It will run every Friday, Saturday and Sunday beginning on December 1st and from December 26th to December 31st. They are inviting imaginative people to come and be a part of the festival by creating art in the form of light installations that all of Edmonton can enjoy!
Zoominesence is currently seeking organizations or individuals (local artists, architects, designers) with a passion for the arts and the environment to share their vision with the local community. This year they are opening the floor to anyone with an artistic vision, who is interested in designing an exhibit for the up and coming festival.
The theme of the competition is “Canada 150 & Our Energy Future”. This theme allows artists to show their creative side with few restrictions, so individuals or teams are able to work with different light materials, ice sculptures or any other creative ideas to come up with a winter light themed exhibit. Keep in mind, many of these exhibits will also include the stars of the Edmonton Valley Zoo themselves, the animals!
A few things to keep in mind regarding the competition application is:
- Chosen projects will be provided with a budget of $3,500.00. Your use of the funds is discretionary as long as the project approved is the project built.
- Power will be provided by the Edmonton Valley Zoo, you just need to ensure the exhibit is maintained, keep in mind harsh winter conditions. Your project must include power needs and specifications…keeping mind alternative energy
sources are the preferred manner. They require artists to use timers to minimize the power used during the 31 day festival period
- Be creative: anything goes here with materials, this can be ice, lights, anything! Just let them know what they can help provide to you!
- It is a city wide festival, so people from all over Edmonton will be able to view your submission, so it is a great way to gain awareness about your work
- This is fun! So keep it light hearted and enjoyable! We want energetic people with a love of the arts to share in this experience.
For more details and application form click HERE
For Site Layout Package click HERE
Project Submission Deadline: August 15 2017